In case you didn’t know, lentils are seriously THE BOMB DOT COM.
Here are some reasons why I love lentils:
- CHOCK FULL of minerals and vitamins – such as molybdenum, folate, copper, phosphorus, iron, manganese, B1, B6 and more!
- Low on the glycemic index
- High in dietary fiber (soluble, and insoluble) – Soluble fiber helps manage blood-sugar, FYI!
- High in protein
- Low calorie – 230 cals for a whole cup!
These little babies fill me up and don’t wreak havoc on my digestion or my macros – WINNING!
Here is my favorite simple lentil soup recipe that I could really eat every day during winter:
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 4 large ribs celery, diced
- 2 small yellow onions, diced
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 cups red lentils
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 4 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Herbs & spices (any!)
- Rinse lentils until water runs clear.
- In a medium (2- to 3-quart) saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the carrots, celery, onions, and half the salt; stir to combine.
- Cover and let the vegetables "sweat" until the onions are translucent (about 7 minutes).
- Add the lentils, broth, bay leaves, and whatever herbs & spices you desire - and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer, covered, until the lentils begin to fall apart (about 20 minutes).
- Turn off the heat, stir in the lemon juice, and add the rest of the salt.
- Ladle into bowls and serve!
Also - this will keep in your refrigerator for up to 5 days 🙂
The best part is – This is TOTALLY 21 Day Fix approved!! So, if you’re using the Fix eating guidelines, then 1 serving of this lentil soup would be:
What’s your favorite easy winter recipe that just hits the spot?? I’d love to hear it!!