I’ve been on the prowl again lately for tasty, clean, and EASY slow cooker recipes 😉
Emphasis on the easy, ya heard?! I don’t like to get up extra early or stay up later to chop stuff or brown things or do all sorts of extra steps… I’m a fan of the throw-it-in-the-pot-and-be-done method; whether this is a slow cooker pot or a stovetop pot!
Last winter, I found a few different recipes for chicken tortilla soup, chicken enchilada soup, and similar types of dishes; all of them were pretty good but I hadn’t made any of them in the slow cooker.
Fast-forward to last week, and I thought to myself, “Self, instead of browsing all these darn recipes, why don’t we just flip some of the ones we already use, and modify them for the slow cooker?” and I replied, “Well, SELF, you’re brilliant!”
So, here is the culmination of my trials and errors over the last year; I’m going to call it Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup for simplicity 🙂
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 32 oz low-sodium chicken broth
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes (1 can)
- 10 oz crushed tomatoes with green chiles
- 4 oz (1 can) chopped green chiles
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 2½ tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 10 corn tortillas, torn into strips or pieces
- cilantro (optional)
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Place ALL ingredients except for the tortillas, into a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 hours, or LOW for 8 hours.
- Remove chicken from pot and shred with fork, then return to pot.
- Add tortilla pieces and stir.
- **Optional: Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese and cilantro.
You can also use half the amount of chicken, and the portions would be reduced to 1 Red.
I’ll have you know, my brilliant idea was DELICIOUS!
Let me know if you try this recipe – I’d love to see the fruits of your labor!! 🙂